Types of Solar Window Screens Available
According to a recent study by the U.S. Department of Energy, shading a home’s windows and doors is the best way to prevent heat from building up inside the structure. Placing solar window screens on exterior windows and doors is the most effective home treatment to counter these effects.
By placing solar screens on exposed exterior windows and doors, homeowners can reduce interior temperatures by as much as 20 degrees. Now that’s cool!
Solar window screens can be constructed from different materials and come in a variety of color choices. Darker screens provide greater sun protection and better visibility from inside the home. A number of solar window screen options are available to choose from:
- Solar Insect 65% Screens. Solar Insect screens are made from a tight weave mesh with very tiny openings to prevent insects from entering the home. Solar Insect 65 screens block up to 65 percent of the sun’s rays.
- Sun Guard 75% Screens. Sun Guard screens are made of fiberglass and are a great value due to their effective sun block properties and reasonable price tag. Sun Guard 75 blocks up to 75 percent of the sun’s rays.
- Textilene 80% Sun Block Solar Screens. Textilene solar screen material is made of woven PVC coated polyester yarn. Textilene reduces heat transfer through windows by reducing solar heat gain and thereby blocking harmful UVB rays. Textilene 80 blocks up to 80 percent of the sun’s rays and is pet and hail resistant. Textilene also comes in a 90 sun block, which blocks 90 percent of the sun’s rays.
- Super Solar 90% Solar Screens. Super Solar screens are constructed from polyester fabric and block up to 90 percent of the sun’s rays.
In addition to keeping your home cooler during the summer month, solar window screens provide the following benefits to homeowners:
- Lower your utility bills in warm weather
- Significantly reduce the amount of exterior heat that is transferred inside your home through outside windows
- Reduce the glare and harmful UVB rays from the sun protecting your home’s furnishings and floor coverings
- Provide excellent ventilation and help prevent dust from entering your home
- Provide daytime privacy without blocking the view from inside